Tim is truly blessed to be able to say that training dogs for a living is all he has ever wanted to do. Tim grew up in Memphis, TN with parents who were avid dog lovers, and bred German Shepherds and Australian Terriers. Tim’s dad started teaching him how to train dogs at a very early age, but at age 12, gave him a German Shepherd of his own and enrolled him in training classes, where Tim started competing in obedience and conformation. Tim loved competition, but got his passion for behavior problems when he got another German Shepherd at 14 that had temperament issues. He read every book he could get his hands on, and exhausted the resources in Memphis to help him train this dog to accept strangers.
In 1990, he moved to Ft. Lauderdale to work for a large dog training franchise that existed at the time. Quickly working through the ranks, he became the Training Director of the Broward franchise within 2 years, and became Corporate Training Director within 3 years, at the age of 26. Being the supervisor of up to 20 trainers in 5 offices gave him the unique experience of using a team approach to really evaluate what dog training methods really worked well, and which ones didn’t.
In 1994, he started A Dog’s Best Friend with the intention of taking dog training in South Florida in a new direction. He was tired of the consistently negative approaches taken to training, and searched the country for alternatives, and sought out the best training for himself that could be found. He became the first Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) member in South Florida, and attended every conference that they offered, became a volunteer on the conference committee, and helped run them for several years. He also attended any other conferences he could find, and any quality training he could, including the Purdue University program to become a certified behaviorist, and the very highly regarded training program in the industry offered by Bob and Marian Bailey, in which he was top of his class in levels 2,3, and 4.
He also started a very aggressive public service campaign with the Humane Society of Broward County. When he first got involved with them, they had a very heavy handed trainer that taught every dog to down by stepping on their leash and forcing them to the ground and told everyone in class, “make sure you wear boots, cause you’re going to get bitten!” Working closely with the Director of Education, and the Executive Director, Tim built new programs and new humane approaches to training. Today, HSBC is one of the most progressive shelters in the country, with their own behavior department and very progressive programs. Tim continued his shelter work with The Walter Turken Training for Adoption Program, the Humane Society of Collier County, the Animal Refuge Center in Ft. Myers, the Peggy Adams Animal Rescue League, and the Animal Fancier’s Club of Tochigi, Japan, who flew him out for a month of consultation in 2003 and again in 2004! He continues his commitment to rescued pets with his work with Doberman Rescue, Lab Rescue, Grateful Paws, Dachshund Rescue, Rottie Rescue, Keezhund Rescue and Golden Retriever Rescue.
Today, A Dog’s Best Friend is the largest and most reputable training company in South Florida, offering high quality services that no other company offers with very experienced, committed staff. ADBFs Boarding Training programs are very unique, Puppy Kindergarten is one of a kind and the oldest in South Florida, and positive approach group class is also the oldest in South Florida. ADBFs commitment to South Florida’s dogs and owners have spread, and dogs have been sent to us now from all over the state, across the country, and now as far away as Chile and Sweden!View Tim’s Resume
- Certified Pet Dog Trainer (CPDT), Certification Counsel of Pet Dog Trainers
- Certified by Purdue University in Puppy Development, Problem Prevention, and Treatment of Behavior Problems
- Advanced Level Operant Conditioning Training, with Bob and Marian Bailey (BF Skinner’s Research Assistant and Graduate Student- Top in Class Levels 2,3,4)
- Member, Association of Pet Dog Trainers (1995-Present)
- Guest Instructor : Animal Fancier’s Club, Tochigi Prefecture- JAPAN 2003-2004 Conducted Staff Training, taught private and group classes for students from all over Japan
- Training Director: Animal Refuge Center- Ft. Myers, FL (2002-Present) Designed and implemented program and protocol for safety, puppy development, aggressive dogs, training an socialization, staff and volunteers
- Training Director: GoodDog Training Program- Collier County Humane Society- Naples, FL Designed self-sustaining training and safety program with color coding system to match dogs to volunteers and potential adoptees, trained staff and volunteers
- Member, Education Committee- Humane Society of Broward County (1991,2000)
- Chairman, Behavior Committee, Humane Society of Broward County (1994-2000) Creator and Director, GoodDog Training Program, Behavior Helpline, South Florida’s 1st and Largest All Positive Group Class Program/South Florida’s 1st Growl Classes Staff training on handling and showing dogs, Breed specifics Developed Adoption Questionnaire, Matching Dogs to Owners form US Postal Service, Dog Bite Prevention Training
- Design Consultant for the first three dog parks in Broward County (Coral Springs, Ft. Lauderdale and Plantation)
- Training Director, Walter Turken Training for Adoption Program (2000-2002) with Brian Kilcommons
- Corporate Training Director, Canine Counselors (1990-1995) Managed up to 20 trainers in five offices